A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.”
First figure out what is important to you. And make a list
- There are many things we do that are important to others
- What is important to you personally
Second think about why the things on your list are important to you
- Some things are important to us simply because they are expected of us or we were told they were important
- Some things we adopted from our parents, or mentors or other people we respected but we never took the time to figure out why
- You need to decide if they are actually important to you, and if they are going to be something you build your life around you will need to know why they are important
Third work with your list and refine it.
- Many of the things that are important which you wrote down will fit together.
- Narrow you focus and shorten your list. You want something you can use to guide your life, not a novel to carry around to read before every decision. “For values or guiding principles to be truly effective they have to be verbs.” Simon Sinek
- If your life isn’t spent living out your values they are not your values
If we will work with knowing what we value, and how we define success we can live lives full of purpose and discover and live our lives to our fullest potential. With a little work and heart searching we can find out what is most important to us so that we are able to chart our course even when the storms are at their worst.
Values are extremely important. Do you know what yours are?